the Tourist Office Ardèche mountain I settle here

Church of St Etienne de Lugdarès

Home/Built heritage/Church of St Etienne de Lugdarès
Church nicknamed "the cathedral of the mountain" because of its imposing dimensions. It is a gothic style church. It houses the high altar of the Abbaye des Chambons.

A unique, new property built in the traditional French style, with many energy saving features.

History

The history of the Cathedral Church of the Mountain begins in 1880: it hosts a celebration of the sacrament of confirmation, June 23, 1880, by Monseigneur Bonnet, bishop of Viviers. The church was consecrated on May 29, 18862.

Brand

Church of Gothic origin, recomposed, in granite and volcanic stones of different colors, whose high altar comes from the abbey of Chambons, Borne, bichrome walls, origin dating back to 1302.

Construction

Since 1789, the various decrees of the National Assembly lead to the departure of the monks of the abbey of chambons, administrator of the parish church, with sale of their domain, on July 4, 1791: the priest will then be remunerated by the state , to 1 pounds for the 500 souls, but nothing for the material state of the church, therefore at the expense of the inhabitants.

With the climatic conditions of the Ardèche high plateau, this state deteriorates, until in 1842, on August 3, the municipal council grants a subsidy of 500 francs. It will be necessary to wait until May 17, 1860, following a visit by the Bishop of Viviers, for a reconstruction project to be mentioned, a project put on the agenda of a meeting of the municipal council … of 1866.

First cost estimated at 51 francs, resources of 000 francs on cuttings of wood in Bez, purchase of land in 30, new extraordinary meeting of the council, in 000, for a new budget of 1869 francs, then 1872 francs in 70...

With cut stones from the Chambons national forest (40 francs planned), the strong support (technical and financial) of Monsignor Bourret (in 726), subscriptions in kind (1873 francs, 7 people from the villages), the recovery of old materials (515 francs), or wood provided by the section (192 francs), the specifications are completed, signed by the prefect on January 3, 920, for adjudication to Henri Giraud, Chassier contractor, for 3 francs, with guarantees from Messrs. Baptiste Giraud and Étienne Laplanche, both farmers in Thueyts.

On February 15, 1874, Mr. Charron gave up his land in Le Pradou for the new cemetery, but the first burial was that of the entrepreneur's young daughter, aged 2, buried directly in the church, at the top of the north side nave, in front of the altar, under a slab.

But the work lasted, the contractor struggled to finish, poor workmanship seemed to be highlighted, hence his replacement on July 14, 1878, while the bell tower was still missing, estimated at 15 francs, to be found on cuts of wood from the Bès.

Somehow, the Way of the Cross was erected on December 27, 1878, in this new church. The structural work finished, remained the furniture, with among others, the stained glass windows.

The church was restored in 1997 and 1998.

Opening

All year, every day.

We also offer:

Swimming at the Aygues Douces campsite (public)

It is at the entrance to the Aygues Douces municipal campsite that you can enjoy the river. Accessible to the general public, you can benefit from a picnic area and a children's play area.

More

Prices

Free access.

Location

Go up