Description
1 permanent exhibition in the barn on the remarkable spaces of the Mézenc Gerbier territory and 2 temporary exhibitions in the stable on the farmers of the highlands: "A look at the Mézenc Gerbier territory" by Lena Durr and "Faces of farmers" by Claude Fougeirol).
It is one of the most beautiful slate roof barns (phonolites) in the Montagne Ardéchoise, measuring 51×12.40 m overall. One enters the barn through an arch, located to the west near the rise of the barn.
The arcas is a small porch covered by a slate roof.
We must see his Fenière (barn where the hay was housed) with 35 tenailhs (fir crossbowmen) and the proportions of a cathedral: it occupies practically two-thirds of the volume of the building, while the dwelling itself, barely the eighth, and still caught on the stable.
The pillars of the barn, prisms of monolithic basalt, support the main beam, called chareyre, on which rest the beams of the floor of the fenière.
It is therefore a particularly representative specimen of a barn founded on pasture and arranged to shelter livestock. It cannot be dissociated from the Clapas barn, which faces it, still in use, from that of Liberte, which retains its vaulted stable, and that of Ourseyre in ruins.
The name of Bourlatier appears for the first time in 1543, when Louis Lestrange, lord of the place, carries out a transaction with the Charterhouse of Bonnefoy. A fortified house called "castle" took place there.
In 1643 Charles de Saint Nectaire, husband of Marie Hautefort-Lestrange and Viscount of Lestrange, Baron of Boulogne and Privas of the head (by will) of his wife, had four noble barns built on this site, Bourlatier, Clapas, Liberte and Ourseyre. The barn of Bourlatier, communicating with the castle survived him. In 1767 there was a total renovation of the tenailhs of the fenière, whereas in 1762, the castle was only "hovels" and "rubble", the traces of which can be guessed in the extension of the North-West return.
The Bourlatier farm, sold by its owner in 1987 to the Liger association, was restored in four years with the help of the General Council of Ardèche, the Colas corporate foundation and the Society for the Protection of Ancient Monuments. In 1988, the renovation work earned Liger first prize in the program “Masterpieces in Danger”. Leased to the department of Ardèche, work continued, allowing diversified cultural activities: conferences, concerts and various exhibitions.
Opening
From 04/07 to 31/08/2026 every day from 10 a.m. to 18 p.m.
From 01/09 to 30/09/2026, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 14pm to 18pm. Weekends from 10am to 18pm.
We also offer:
Discover Olivier Leroi's video artwork "1020 km" (part of the Partage des Eaux art trail), a playful exhibition on the geology of the Ardèche Mountains, and another on the Loire River from its source to its estuary. Local produce shop.
What if the Loire, in addition to its journey to the Atlantic, also flowed into the Mediterranean? This is G. Clément's hypothesis: Mont Gerbier-de-Jonc would function as a "water tower." Work by Gilles Clément as part of the Water Sharing project.
Prices
| Free. |
Localisation

